Paid Nielsen Photo Group Internships!
We are seeking a few dedicated and highly motivated individuals to join the Nielsen Photo Group as paid interns for spring/summer 2013. The Nielsen Photo Group serves the educational and business needs of emerging and established professionals in the photographic and imaging industries through exclusive information, programs, services and events, enabling them to succeed in today’s active photo market. Principal properties include PDN (Photo District News), Rangefinder, PDNedu and Emerging Photographer magazines, WPPI (Wedding & Portrait Photographers International), PhotoPlus Expo and PhotoServe among others. Our internships give you the chance to experience firsthand the systems and processes that enable us to deliver critical information to clients. Nielsen is the world’s leading market and media research company. With 35,000 employees in more than 100 countries around the world, diverse talent is the cornerstone of Nielsen’s success.
1) Photo District News (PDN), the award-winning monthly magazine for professional photographers, is looking for an editorial intern this spring/summer. The intern will help with general organizational tasks and assist the editorial staff on all aspects of editorial production for the magazine and PDNOnline.com. This position offers an opportunity to learn about print and online publishing as well as photo editing. Help editors in researching, proofreading, fact-checking, reporting and writing about news from all aspects of the professional photography world. Other opportunities may include researching and writing blog posts, proofing magazine layouts and attending editorial meetings. An interest in photography is appreciated, but not required. Experience with HTML and content management systems is a plus.
2) Our Custom Media division is seeking an intern to assist with a wide range of editorial tasks. Responsibilities include researching, proofreading, fact checking and writing for a variety of Custom Media publications including PDNedu, Emerging Photographer magazines our trade show properties, associated Web sites and Blogs. Assist with photo research and trafficking art for publication, converting and sizing image files.
Prerequisites: Well organized, detail oriented, self-starter with past photography experience and good communication skills. Computer literacy, familiarity with ftp image delivery systems, proficiency in PhotoShop, InDesign and various content management systems. Knowledge of Flash, HTML, CSS and photography gear a plus. General assignments will rely on the use of various Mac-based programs (MS Word, Entourage, Photoshop, InDesign, RedDot, WordPress).
• Student studying in the fields of photography and/or journalism.
• Some experience in writing about photography for school assignments, blogs or other types of publication.
• One-page essay about what the student hopes to gain from this internship and sample writing tearsheets.
• Basic interest in media and/or photography.
• Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
3) Our marketing department is seeking an intern to conduct research and help promote Nielsen Photo Group properties to hobbyists, students, educators and professional photographers and image makers through web, print, social media and live events while learning skills related to marketing, advertising and promotion.
Primary responsibilities include:
• Creating and updating marketing materials used to outreach to current and prospective customers/members
• Assist with writing copy for social media, emails and web pages
• Help renew and execute marketing plans for upcoming events; Outdoor Photo Expo, PhotoPlus Expo, contest/gallery exhibitions and others as needed
• Conduct demographic research, develop and proofread marketing materials
• Assist with and perform any other duties as needed or assigned by the Marketing Director
General assignments will rely on the use of Nielsen Software and MS (Office Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint).
• Student studying in the field of marketing/communications
• Some experience in developing marketing plans and targeted marketing campaigns
• One-page essay about what the student hopes to gain from this internship
• Basic interest in media and/or photography
• Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
4) Our sales department is seeking an intern to provide vital support to our advertising sales team, playing a pivotal role in ensuring that the revenue generating side of our business runs smoothly. This intern will work closely with the Associate Publisher providing vital administrative and project support, working with sales representatives and clients. This position is a terrific opportunity for an outgoing, energetic individual who wants to learn about publishing, advertising sales and marketing.
• Assist in Print, Online, and Sponsorship sales process.
• Assist with Tradeshow booth preparations.
• Coordinate sales meetings, schedule conference rooms and appointments for sales team.
• Conduct follow-up to sales team meetings.
• Assist accounting with collections, TMM input, invoicing.
• Assist with preparation of Nielsen Photo Group parties and events
• Other duties as assigned
• Good organizational skills and attention to detail
• Ability to work well alone and as part of a team
• Professional demeanor
• Excellent verbal and written skills
• MS Office, CRM database experience a plus
These are paid internships, which will be a unique opportunity to experience the Nielsen environment, culture and team while enhancing your professional and personal skills.
Work schedule: Monday – Friday – Days/Hours are flexible, with an expected work week of approximately 24 hours per week. Position is located at our 85 Broad Street, New York, New York office. Local candidates are preferred. No relocation or housing assistance is provided.
All applicants must be currently enrolled in school or a graduating senior to qualify for an internship. For consideration, please send a resume and short cover letter explaining your interest in magazine, online publishing, marketing, sales and/or photography to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nielsen promotes and enforces a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for all individuals.